Main Menu
 Home
 Portland
 Boat Ramp Camera Live
 Point Danger Gannets Live Camera
 Cape Bridgewater
 Glenelg River
 Casterton
 Whales
 Sea Creatures
 Flora
 Fauna
 Birds
 Wild Scenes
 Historic Photos
 Blue Fin Tuna
 Sharks
 Bobs Fishing Report
 SA Fishing Report Port MacDonnell
 Competitions & Tournaments
 Ameteur Fishing
 Professional Fishing
 Picture Gallery
 Panaramic Scenes
 Wild Under Water
 Diving
 Abalone
 Contact Us
 Wild Web Links
 Accommodation
 Fishing Charters
 Used Boat Sales
 Disclaimer


 
 
 
 

Hit Counter
5015902 Visitors


 
 
 
 
Mainscreen  Mainscreen > History

History

145 image(s) found - you are at page 1 of 8

In this photo it shows the railway station with its goods shed on the right of the tracks. The rotunda was built in the early 1900’s on the foreshore.From Vern McCallum
Railway Station foreshore 1920
The baths were situated at the end of Gawler Street. The baths were built in 1880 and only lasted 9 years. That’s when the third baths were constructed at the end of Henty St
Second Council Baths 1881
Another name for Bentinck Street. This photo shows the cypress trees that line the street in early years. Photo circa 1900. Photo from Vern McCallum Colection.
The Esplanade 1900
These photos are part of a collection of approx 6500 early western district photos in the   Vern McCallum vern@mccallum-collection.org
Portland Fishing Fleet in 1900
Blair’s Bridge in foreground, Breakwater Bridge in centre, James Schofields residence left of breakwater bridge. Piers in the background.
View from battery Point Portla
The lifeboat got its name from the ship “Admella” that sunk at Carpenters Rocks. The lifeboat was towed to the wreck site by the steamer “Ladybird”. Captain
Admella Life Boat.
Before there was a jetty at Portland, cargo was unloaded from ships into Lighters. They were pulled up to the sandy beach at high tide and then left high & dry for unloading.
Lighters on the Portland Beach
Taken from Percy street intersection, looking down Julia Street towards the ocean. The street lamps, which were installed in 1914 at the main intersections in the township centre
Looking down Julia St.in 1916.
This three-storey bluestone hotel would have to be the most imposing building in Portland, with views of the harbour.From the Vern McCallum Colection.
Macs Hotel in 1855.
From the Vern McCallum Colection.
Motor Boat Race Portland Boxin
Though this photograph is not from the period of `discovery`, it does indicated what precipitated European interest in these shores – whales
Portland Bay 1880.
These baths were built by Rigby + Sons. The timber was supplied and cut by Burgess + Sons sawmill in Digby. The official opening was in 1889
Portland 3rd. Public Baths.
Vern shows a sample of his historic diplay.
Vern McCallum witha sample.

1895 on the Glenelg River
These Blokes took some Secrets with them!!1
Catch of Bream at Nelson.

Donavans on the Glenelg River.
Looks like mullaway for tea tonight.
Glenelg river Nelson.
Looks like the Clifs down at the mouth of the river.
Glenelg River.
No lights or luxuries in these days
Johann Falkenburgs home.

Shell Tanker Casterton
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8